Knowing when to change your windshield wipers can be tough, and is determined by a number of factors. There is a lot of bad information out there – like you should only replace them every 12 months or only when they begin leaving streaks on your windshield. Today, we’ll help you find that sweet spot knowing it’s time to replace your wiper blades.
Use the eyeball test
Most of the time it’s fairly clear when blade maintenance is needed. Here are a few ways to know at a glance:
- When the blade swipes and leaves water streaks on the windshield.
- The rubber blades are beginning to tear and contact with the glass is lessening.
- There is a ‘hopping’ or ‘dragging’ motion when turned on.
Should my wipers be replaced as part of routine maintenance?
The short answer: yes. We encounter so many customers that only replace their wiper blades when they’re on their last leg. Wear and tear happens and impacts your blades even when you don’t see it. It’s a good idea to have your wiper blades replaced twice a year, or even every couple of months.
Changes to weather conditions should also be a determining factor. Changing your blades at the beginning of fall or the end of spring is ideal so they’ll be at their strongest when they’ll be used the most.
How to reduce wear and tear on your blades
- Winter: use an ice scraper to clear off ice before using your wipers. Ice wreaks havoc on them.
- Spring: try not to engage your wipers without spraying washer fluid. The last thing you want to do is spread the thick coat of pollen everywhere.
- Summer: clear off leaves and branches. Debris will get between the windshield and the blades and wear them down quicker.
- Fall: similar to summer, keep the leaves off the windshield! Excess leaves can cause damage to the wiper arm as it causes unnecessary weight and drag.
Remember: wiper blades are incredibly important parts of your car as they keep you safe when it rains or snows. Replacing your wiper blades twice a year at a minimum is highly recommended!
Latest posts by Taylor Auto Glass (see all)
- The Best Car Wash Products for Summer - June 14, 2019
- Best Cars for New Drivers - June 10, 2019
- How to Save Money when Shopping for New & Used Car Parts - June 4, 2019